Sunday, August 29, 2010

Wedding Sermon for Wally Anderson and Dawn Beyl

The Rev. Paul J Cain, Jr.


Matthew 11:28-30

Rest

Wedding Sermon for Wallace Richard Anderson and Dawn Marie Beyl

Friday of Pentecost XIII, 27 August 2010

Immanuel Lutheran Church, Sheridan, Wyoming.



In the Name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.



Dawn and Wally,

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Today is a joyous day. It is a day you both will remember as long as you both shall live on this earth.

This is also a day that has been a long time coming. Your past is now behind you. Here in the present, along with Jessi, Grant, Justine, Jaiden, and Braiden, and family and friends, we prepare you for the future and all of its unknown joys and challenges. We pray that the Lord will give us faith to go forth with good courage, not always knowing where we go, but confident that His hand is leading you and His love is with you through Christ Jesus, our Lord.

As we have gotten better acquainted, I have come to more fully appreciate how the Lord has already blessed you with three wonderful children and very supportive friends.

The Lord has more in store as we learn about Him and His saving promises in His Word and as we look forward to a baptism day for all not yet baptized in the name of our Triune God. And there are additional ways to prepare you for wedded life.

I also noticed something in both of you last week when we planned for this special day. Peace. Relief. Rest. You both projected a calm heart, mind, and spirit that seemed new to both of you—or at least new for the first time in a long time. That is why your wedding sermon text is from Matthew 11:28-30:

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Human beings often walk about in this life bearing the weight of the world. There’s the stress that comes even with harmonious families. And then the burden of work. And then the bills. And also worries about the future. And the guilt of days and deeds long past as well as fresh remorse about yesterday and today.

That reality of what life in this world is like combined with all of the consequences of life in this world could lead us to hypocrisy or despair. That’s life under the law, for it always cuts and always condemns. But that is not the whole story of life in this world. In Jesus Christ, Son of God and Son of Man, your sin is taken away and your guilt is atoned for.

Christianity is very practical. Jesus is a real Savior who saves us from real sin, real eternal death, and a very real old evil foe. And He gives us all a new dawn, a fresh start—not merely a blank slate, but one filled with spiritual blessings, eternal life, and salvation.

He gives rest to the weary. Not once, but daily, because life happens daily. He gives you His light yoke, because the hard work of carrying the cross and enduring it on Good Friday is Finished! His Resurrection from the dead gives life and a light burden.

God’s Word gives forgiveness and also guidance for a God-pleasing life for husbands and wives and parents and children. Even a God-pleasing life can’t earn forgiveness. That is a gift. Yet, those who walk in His ways are protected from themselves. Marriage is hard enough without our own mistakes complicating our spouse’s. Hear once again the comfort of Christ for you on your wedding day:

Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Amen.

In the Name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.